Sunday, July 1, 2012

Arkansas Trip - Cotton Plant

Cotton Plant was my home after being born in Little Rock until just after 4th grade. The farm picture is the farm that my grandfather owned then. Cotton Plant has not been the thriving little town that it was in my childhood for a long time. All of the stores are closed with many of them torn down. This picture of main street from the main intersection says it all. Chris insisted on a picture of me on the "ledge" that goes around the Methodist Church. This was a favorite activity of the kids when I was little.
We visited the cemetery first. The first picture show me at Uncle Sonny and Aunt Ella's grave. The second picture is my grandmother's grave, Kathryn McLeod. This proved to be the most emotional moment of the trip. Mammie died when I was 9. It was just a few months later that we moved away from Cotton Plant for the last time. I left flowers on other graves, mostly family, but also my 2nd grade teacher. I love to visit old cemeteries but this one holds too many people who I knew and many I still love.
The trip to Cotton Plant when from good to fantastic when we stopped to see the Girkins. They are my cousins on my dad's side. I haven't seen them in many years but we were welcomed with open arms. Chris said that they made her feel like family. We went from house to house visiting with everyone. Chris was really amazed by this genuine display of southern hospitality. We might have to go back for a Fourth of July one day to have some of their famous BBQ bologna.
I had to take a picture of a storm cellar, also known as the "Fraidy Hole." I was told that it does get used a few times a year. I do remember spending a few nights in one when I was little. We had a wonderful visit and left with the most delicious tomatoes that Rose picked from the garden. I have enjoyed every bite. Homer gave me a pedal Case tractor for Frank. He just went to the barn and said to take this with us. I was blown away. I WILL BE GOING BACK SOON!!!

No comments: